As an athlete, you probably push yourself to follow a tough and strict training regimen. Given the intensity of your routine, chances are that certain parts of your body end up sore and ache. There are many things you can do to reduce this pain, but having a sports massage is one of the best ways to remedy the problem.
The best thing about a sports massage is that it normally has no other adverse effects if it is done right, and has a great number of psychological and physiological benefits.
According to A&I Physio Rehab Clinic, the main benefits of a sports massage include, but are not limited to the following:
- Preventing muscle soreness: muscle soreness often happens about twelve to twenty-four hours after your workout (DOMS; delayed onset muscle soreness). Regular massages can help prevent the sudden onset of soreness in your muscles and prevents muscle fatigue, too.
- Reducing stress and pain: a good massage helps you relax and alleviates any pain felt in any part of your body. When your mind is free and clear, you can devote yourself to engaging in your sport of choice without facing a risk of being distracted or in pain.
- Preventing inflammation: massages can help prevent any inflammation as a result of a strenuous training regimen. It also helps build and repair muscles, allowing you to perform better.
Apart from these benefits, a massage can also:
- Help decrease muscle stiffness and hyper tonicity
- Reduce patterns of breathing disorders
- Enhance performance
- Help monitor muscle tone
- Hasten recovery from training and minor injuries
Getting a massage before active participation in sports is beneficial. When massaged two days before an event, blood flow to your muscles is improved, and joint mobility is enhanced.
While many sports teams have a professional and licensed masseur to help the team, you can also choose to hire a professional to provide you with specialised services. You can easily find sports massage services online or via local directories. Alternatively, check with friends and colleagues for reputed masseurs in your city.